Type 2 Diabetes – What Is Prediabetes?

Type 2 Diabetes – What Is Prediabetes? – Prediabetes is a scary thing to hear coming out of your doctor’s mouth. If you have been told that you have this “prediabetes” thing, it’s possible that your gut reaction was, “No I don’t! Uh, what’s prediabetes?” This is a question that is actually up for some debate in the medical community. However, as we use it here, it can be considered both a diagnosis and a viable condition. Some medical practitioners have actually suggested that, as a point between normal and diabetic glucose absorption states, prediabetes is something of a misnomer. After all, it is not necessary to have this condition first… plenty of folks skip this step and ram straight into being a Type 2 diabetic.
Simply put, if you have characteristics of diabetes in your blood, but they are not conclusive enough to declare you to be Type 2 diabetic, you have prediabetes. The major factor used in this determination is that your blood sugar levels are higher than average, but are not yet at the level of a full tilt diabetic. In many cases, people who have prediabetes actually develop full-blown Type 2 diabetes within ten years of their initial diagnosis with the former ailment. This is a scary testament to the Jacob Marley effect, in which you may receive ample fair warning. Do you pursue the same course you are currently on, or will you make constructive changes to your lifestyle?
Now, for the sake of clarity, it is important to note that prediabetes does occasionally go by other names. It has also been called impaired glucose tolerance, and impaired fasting glucose. This refers as much to when it was detected (either through a blood test during fasting, or when not fasting), as to the actual ailment itself. The two states are essentially synonymous with one another. One major risk of this condition is that you have a roughly 11% chance of developing regular Type 2 diabetes within 3 years of this earlier diagnosis. However, you do realize that this means you have an 89% chance to get it together and stop this once and for all.
When it comes down to brass tacks, this condition is several things. For one, it is a reduction in how well you are currently using the sugar in your blood. For another, it is a potential future health risk. While there is minimal likelihood of damage to your bodily systems from prediabetes alone, there is ample opportunity for damage to your systems if it continues onward.
Perhaps the most important thing prediabetes is, however, is a warning sign to you. You have the potential to cut this thing like a guy who owes money to the mob, and be rid of it like a pair of cement shoes. Will you make the changes?