How Do I Avoid Diabetes?

How Do I Avoid Diabetes? – There are two separate types of diabetes easily enough known as type 1 and type 2. Approximately 5% of the diabetic population suffers from type 1 diabetes while the remainder, a whopping 95%, suffers from type 2. In type 1 diabetes, generally known as juvenile diabetes, the pancreas simply does not create the insulin your body needs to convert sugar into the energy that is absorbed by the cells. There is not much that can be done with the exception of medication when you have type 1 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is caused by more environmental factors which means that there is a chance for you to avoid diabetes.
If you wish to avoid type 2 diabetes there are two main components that you need to incorporate into your daily life: a regular exercise regime and healthy eating habits. While there are a variety of causes of type 2 diabetes including genetic factors and ethnicity that are out of our control there are several factors that we do have control over including our weight and our activity level. Given the fact that once you ride the diabetes rollercoaster it is extremely difficult to get off I would imagine you would do everything you could to avoid the ride altogether.
To avoid diabetes research shows that you want to be on a low carb diet that is rich in omega 3 fatty foods. Foods to avoid include anything made from white flour including pasta, white rice, white bread, and waffles. Other foods to avoid that are high in carbs include baked beans, sugar, muffins, and crackers. Foods that are made from refined flour are converted into sugar as soon as you eat them which will spike blood sugar. If you are at a high risk for diabetes your body’s insulin is unable to keep up with the sugar intake and will not allow the glucose to enter the cells. When you eat foods that are rich in omega 3 fats the foods do not convert into sugar as fast as high carb foods do thereby allowing your body to absorb the glucose into the cells more slowly and preventing the pancreas from having to throw out so much insulin. Foods that are rich in omega 3 fats include walnuts, fish, winter squash, olive oil, soybeans, and kidney beans.
Being involved in daily exercise activities will also help you avoid diabetes. Exercise is a great way not only to reduce weight but to maintain normal blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity. You don’t necessarily need to join the nearest gym, even 30-40 minutes of walking per day will give the desired result.
If you are predisposed to diabetes, if you are worried that you may have diabetes, or if you simply want to avoid ever having diabetes following the above two recommendations will ensure a healthy life that is completely diabetes free.